Access & Disability
Our community is committed to endeavouring to be as open and accessible as we can. We welcome members and visitors who are Deaf and Disabled and / or who have access needs.
- Muswell Hill Synagogue follows the social model of disability. Our approach is to remove as many barriers as we can to enable people with physical, sensory or cognitive disabilities to participate fully in all our activities.
We have the following facilities in place to support your visit to our building:
- Step free seating for men and women on the ground floor of the synagogue
- Step free access to the building
- A hearing loop
- Magnifying sheets to increase the font size of the prayer books
- Accessible toilet facilities
- Car parking
- We work with families to ensure that teenagers who are neuro diverse or who have a cognitive disability are able to enjoy and celebrate bar and bat mitzvahs.
We are looking at how we can improve accessibility of our website.
Our efforts regarding inclusion are ongoing. We continue to look for ways we can improve. We are currently in dialogue with various Jewish groups which have specialist knowledge in accessibility, along with members of our community who are deaf, disabled or who care for someone who is deaf or disabled.
We welcome input from other members of our community who have ideas about improving accessibility to help influence further access facilities.
Ideas we are considering include:
- Developing accessible and inclusive Shabbat or other services
- Purchasing easy to hold cutlery and glasses
- Hard copy versions of the Community’s newsletter, Ethos
- Large print
- Captioning at our zoom events
We know this list is not exhaustive so please send your ideas on improving accessibility, marked “Accessibility” either by email to the office , by post to Muswell Hill Synagogue, 31Tetherdown, London N10 1ND, or by leaving a message on 020 8883 5925.