Rishon Cheder @ MHS
At Rishon our aim is to inspire every student with an enjoyable and positive Jewish and Hebrew learning experience each week.
Rishon is led by Raviv Rahmani. He has a team of enthusiastic teachers who, together with assistants drawn from the young people in the community, bring a wealth of experience and energy to their roles. The team are also supported by our wonderful Rabbi and a team of active parent governors.
Rishon is open to both members and non-MHS members.
AMBITIONS FOR OUR STUDENTS ARE:
- A strong sense of Jewish identity appreciating its values, building a sense of community and belonging
- Fluency in Hebrew reading and progress in writing as part of a focused curriculum led by dedicated teachers
- Understanding Jewish festivals and holidays and their significance and associated practices
- Building lasting friendships and having fun with other children in the Muswell Hill community.
MUSWELL HILL AND MILAN UNITED
As part of our focus on Jewish identity, we have teamed up with a cheder in Milan (Talmud Torah della Scuola del Merkos Italy). We are holding fun interactive video calls between the year groups on Jewish customs and festivals such as Chanukah.
OUR LEARNING TIMETABLE
Rishon runs every Sunday during term time from 0945 to 1200. A typical Sunday morning includes three core elements:
· An enjoyable assembly for all students
· Tailored Hebrew reading and writing – We use the Aleph Champ workbooks and also the New Hebrew Primer. All children are taught in small groups according to their ability.
· Learning about Jewish identity and values.
These include learning about forthcoming festivals, world Jewish communities, customs and Jewish history. Weekly emails provide updates on the topics that will be taught.
TERM DATES 2021 / 2022 (inclusive)
Term 1 – Sunday 12 September to Sunday 19 December
Half term: Sundays 24 and 31 October
Term 2 – Sunday 9 January to Sunday 27 March
Half term: Sunday 13 February
Term 3 – Sunday 1 May to Sunday 17 July
Half term: Sunday 5 June
PROTECTIVE MEASURES WE ARE TAKING IN LIGHT OF CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)
The safety of the children and of teachers is our top priority. We will be following the latest United Synagogue and government guidance. This will allow us to open within the synagogue building as safely as possible, focusing on measures that will help limit the risk of coronavirus transmitting within our setting.
We welcome feedback or questions from existing and future parents.